Want to know the secrets of writing well?

Avi, who is a renowned children’s author, has five secrets to good writing on his website.  Here are his tips:

One: Write! It’s not writing until it’s on the paper. Story telling is a great art, but it is not story writing.

Two: Rewrite! No one-ever–writes anything well the first time. The first draft can not be the last draft. (I rewrite my work fifty-sixty times–or more). Here’s a tip: read your first draft, and if you think it’s good, you are in trouble. But, if you read it and you see it’s not that good, you are in great shape–to get going. The more you rewrite the better your writing will be.

Three: Write for a reader: Maybe you understand what you have written, but the writer’s job is to have the reader understand it. Keep in mind: writers don’t write writing, they write reading.

Four: Listen. Read your work out loud (pencil in hand) and it will let you hear your own writing. It will almost improve itself.

Five: Read, read, read. Reading is the key to good writing. The more you read, the better the writer you can be. You can NEVER read too much.

3 thoughts on “Want to know the secrets of writing well?

1. I love this! I typed it up and ran it over to the local printer (so they could blow it up to poster size). I’m going to put it in my conference station.

2. Pingback: Inspiring Words for the Inside of Students’ Writer’s Notebooks « TWO WRITING TEACHERS